What to do if you have a loss to your home
Insurance is something you purchase hoping you never have to use it. But if you do have a loss here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Before something happens -- be prepared.
- Keep a list of all the contents in your home, and put it someplace safe, not in the home. (Check with your agent for Central's Household Inventory booklet designed to be a helpful guide to listing all your personal property.)
- Take pictures and update the list annually. Many people video tape each room and the contents. Keep receipts for all "big ticket" items.
- Because the cost of replacing your house rises each year, review your policy annually.
- After the loss, take all necessary steps to protect the property from further damage.
- In case of robbery or vandalism, call the police.
- Call your agent. They will explain your policy and options as well as advise you about any further action you should take.